EXPLORE OUR CUSTOM BLINDS COLLECTION
Our custom window blinds come in three main styles: Wood, Metal, and Vertical. Which window blinds are best for your home will depend on your aesthetic style and the type of application for which you plan to use them. Sustainably sourced and available in a variety of rich finishes, our realWood Blinds
are best for interiors with classic appeal. Chic, durable and affordable, ourMetal Blinds
are ideal for modern, functional spaces. With a look like real wood, but with greater resistance to moisture, mildew, and warping, ourFaux Wood Blinds
are perfect for spaces like laundry rooms, bathrooms and basements. For a beautiful modern drapery alternative that’s ideal for covering wide areas and dividing rooms, try ourVertical Blinds
To start selecting and designing your custom blinds,request a free quote
today orvisit your local showroom
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLINDS
The Shade Store offers a selection of customization options to make the most of your blinds, giving you the look you want with the functionality you need:
Your window blinds may be inside or outside mounted, depending on your preference and light control needs.
- Inside Mount: Blinds are installed inside the window frame for a clean, built-in look. Keep in mind, inside mount is only possible if there’s enough depth within the window frame for the headrail to be installed.
- Outside Mount: Blinds are installed outside the window frame, either on the trim or above the trim. Outside mount blinds give you a taller, fuller look and more dramatic appearance, while being more effective at blocking light when tilted closed.
Regarding installation, you also have the option of a Multiple on 1 application with Wood and Metal Blinds, where two or three sets of blinds hang from one headrail and operate independently. This is especially useful on wide window applications where a single panel of blinds might be too heavy to lift and lower easily.
The control types available to you will depend on which style of blinds you choose. Choosing the right one for your space will depend on several factors such as your preferences and how accessible your window blinds are, as well as how important child safety is to you.
Control Types for Wood and Metal Blinds:
- Cord Lock Control: This control method works by pulling a cord to lock and unlock your blinds in place. Keep in mind cord length will vary based on the position of your blinds (the higher up your blinds, the longer your cord, and vice versa). For a clean appearance, and greater safety around kids and pets, the cord can be wrapped around a cleat when not in use.
- Cordless Control: Eliminates exposed, dangling cords, and allows you to lift or lower your blinds with a gentle push or pull of the bottom rail.
- Control types for tiling the slats: A corded option where pulling the cord tilts the slats; a wand where twisting the wand tilts the slats, or motorization which tilts the slats with a remote, app, or your voice when paired with a smart home device.
- Motorization: As a control type for window blinds, motorization only allows you to tilt the slats. It does not allow you to raise and lower your blinds.
Control Types for Vertical Blinds:
- Cord Draw: Pull on a continuous loop cloth cord to slide your Vertical Blinds left and right.
- Baton: Pull on a baton hanging from the top of the vertical blind panel to slide your Vertical Blinds left and right.
To find the perfect custom blinds for windows in your home, get started byordering free swatches online
orvisiting your local showroom
. Our expert Design Consultants are available to answer any questions you may have and help guide you through the selection and design process.
THE BENEFITS OF WINDOW BLINDS
Custom blinds not only add character to your windows, but also offer excellent privacy and light control. Learn more about the benefits of each type of custom window blinds to help you decide which is right for your space.
are made sustainably from real wood, and are available in an assortment of rich finishes to complement your interior décor whether traditional, contemporary or something in between. Authentic wood is full of character and works well in many applications, but is especially suited to living rooms, dining rooms, and other low-humidity and low-moisture areas. This is because, as real wood, Wood Blinds naturally absorb moisture and may gently warp over time. While this is often seen as a charming element of wood blinds, if you’d rather avoid it, consider ourFaux Wood Blinds
. Made from a durable, moisture-resistant composite material, Faux Wood Blinds give you the look of real wood you love with the performance you need.
are stylish, durable and affordable, making them a great way to add privacy and light control to your windows while also adding modern clean lines. Metal Blinds come in 9 attractive finishes so you can choose the right look for your space. Plus, being made from aluminum, our Metal Blinds offer superior performance and durability, and work great in high-traffic and high-moisture areas like bathrooms and kitchens.
are ideal for covering large, wide windows or sliding glass doors and also make perfect room dividers. With their sleek modern look and high functionality, vertical blinds look best in modern and contemporary spaces, but are versatile enough to suit nearly any home style.
UPGRADE OPTIONS FOR CUSTOM BLINDS
Upgrade your custom window blinds to best suit your needs and your preferences. Some options for upgrades include:
- Go Cordless: Our cordless blinds let you control your window treatments with a gentle push or pull of the bottom rail on Wood and Metal Blinds — no dangling strings, chains or cords. For Vertical Blinds, choose the Baton over the Cord Draw for a cordless application.
- Motorize Your Custom Blinds: Available only for Wood and 2” Metal Blinds, motorization allows you to tilt your blinds easily with a remote, app, or your voice when paired with a smart home device. Ideal for heavy or hard-to-reach blinds, motorization delivers effortless functionality. Remember, motorization only allows you to tilt your custom window blinds, not lift and lower.
WINDOW BLINDS: COMMON QUESTIONS
Still have questions about our custom blinds? See if your question is listed below, or contact your local showroom for help from our expert Design Consultants.
Are blinds safe for children?
The safest blinds we offer for children — and pets alike — are our cordless and motorized blinds. They areBest For Kids™ Certified
and allow you to operate them with a simple push or pull — no cords or strings.
How to measure for blinds?
Inside Mount Blinds:
- Width: Because windows are not perfectly square, we recommend measuring the window in 3 places to get your width: across the top, middle and bottom. Round all measurements down to the nearest 1/8" interval. The smallest of the 3 measurements is your ordering width.
- Length: Measure the length of the window in 3 places on the window: left, center and right. Round all measurements up to the nearest 1/8". The largest of the 3 measurements is your ordering length.
- Depth: Measure the depth at the top of the inside window casing. The depth of the product varies based on control type and options. 3/4" minimum depth is required to do an inside mount.
Outside Mount Blinds:
- Width: Measure the width of the area you wish to cover. If space allows, we recommend adding 2 to 3" (1 to 1 1/2" on each side) to this measurement to help eliminate light. This is your ordering width and will be the overall measurement of the shade.
- Length: Measure the height of the area you wish to cover. This is your ordering length.
Detailed instructions on how to install custom blinds can be foundonline
— but to ensure your window treatments fit perfectly, we recommend letting our professionals take care of the measurements for you.Schedule a free measurement
today to get started.
How should I clean my blinds?
Cleaning blinds is simple! For dusty blinds, gently wipe a duster or microfiber cloth horizontally across your blinds from top to bottom. For dirtier blinds, use a damp cloth with gentle, mild soap. A vacuum cleaner with a dust attachment is also a quick and easy way to clean your blinds.
How should I style my blinds?
There’s no wrong way to style your custom window blinds, but here are a couple of simple tips: To give your space an architectural touch with clean lines and bold contrast, adorn your windows with our
in a color like Chestnut or Noir. For a brighter, livelier look, try our2” Faux Wood Blinds
VISIT US AT OUR SHOWROOMS NATIONWIDE
Our showrooms across the US are your destination for the finest custom window treatments, including our Wood, Metal and Vertical Blinds. Our expert Design Consultants are available at each location to help you select and design beautiful blinds for your windows. Plus, you cansample unlimited free swatches
to find the perfect color complements.Visit your local showroom
today to get started.